Technical Theatre Apprenticeships
Do you like the idea of a career in the theatre but would prefer to be behind the scenes? This apprenticeship could be perfect for you! Depending on the company you’re employed with, you’ll have the opportunity to specialise in a specific area; stage, sound or lighting.
As a level 2 apprentice you’ll work under the supervision of senior staff. Throughout the level 3 apprenticeship you’ll gain more responsibility and oversee many aspects of a live performance.
As a level 2 apprentice, duties may include:
- Installing electrical equipment for live performances
- Supporting the lighting designer to programme the lights
- Operating the spot light during performances
- Checking microphones and other sound equipment
- Setting up the stage
As a level 3 apprentice, duties may include:
- Planning lighting requirements
- Overseeing the maintenance of equipment ensuring it’s safe to use
- Overseeing the sound operation for a live performance
- Supervise the preparation of flying and special effects equipment
- Ordering supplies
You will be allocated a course tutor/assessor to provide guided learning and support with assignments. You will be observed in the workplace by your allocated assessor.
Apprenticeships require a good level of English, maths and/or ICT. Our initial assessment and your GCSE results will help inform us of your ability and what support we can offer to get you to the level required.
If you do not hold the relevant GCSEs you will need to complete the Functional Skills qualifications as part of your apprenticeship.
You must be:
- at least 16
- a UK resident
- in employment. We can help with this
To undertake a level 3 apprenticeship, you need a level 2 qualification or to have experience in a relevant field.
Level 2: 12 months
Level 3: 18 months