Production Arts – Makeup Level 3
This course is designed for those who would like to work in the creative make-up industry, in areas such as: theatre, TV, film and photography, or for those who want to prepare for higher education in a related subject. It will give you a solid practical skills base covering fundamental make-up techniques; corrective, HD, theatrical, photographic, special effects, period, body painting, prosthetics, hair and wigs, make-up design and production planning. By working on projects and assignments which are linked to real theatre, film and fashion show productions, you will gain the wide variety of skills and knowledge that will prepare you for the make-up industry.
Duration: One year with two-year option
Starting date: September 2019
Location: Teesdale campus
What will you do?
- Practical make-up: theatrical, HD, special-effects, fashion, catwalk, period, body-painting, postiche.
- Production planning: script, character, research, design, continuity, planning, health & safety.
- Production work: pantomime, musical theatre, short films, music video, fashion shows, exhibition work.
- Design & drawing: sketchbook, mood-board, life drawing, mask making, face charts.
How will I learn?
Through working on projects and assignments which are linked to real theatre, film and fashion show productions, you will gain the wide variety of skills and knowledge that will prepare you for the make-up industry.
How am I assessed?
Sketchbooks, production folders, observation, portfolios, photographs, working logs, presentations and written reports are all used as evidence for grading.
- Four GCSEs grade 4/C and above (including English and preferably an art related subject)
- BTEC Level 2 in a related subject
- Appropriate industry/work experience
Why English and Maths matter…
You may need to follow detailed instructions, record work and produce design plans. You will need to measure and order materials and, if working as a freelance, you will need to price your time and work.
You could progress onto a foundation degree in media make-up or related production arts subject. You can secure work in the television, theatre or film industry, as a freelance make-up artist, or in photography studios, retail or teaching.
What else do I need to know?
Kit, uniform and stationery requirements will be discussed during the induction process.