History is more than learning about historical events; we challenge interpretations of the past so that we can understand how events of the past shaped our lives today. In this subject you will learn to form and support your own opinion on a range of historical issues. This is an exciting, varied and challenging course which will give you the skills and knowledge to succeed in higher education or the workplace.
Duration: Two years
Starting date: September 2019
Location: SRC Bede Sixth Form
You’ll cover four main topics:
- Britain Transformed 1918 – 1990
- The USA: Boom, Bust and Recovery
- The witch craze in Britain, Europe and North America
- Coursework – Nazi Germany
History students learn in a variety of ways including group work, interactive tasks, individual research, presentations, debates and comprehension activities.
2 x 2hr 15 exams
1 x 1hr 30 exam
1 x coursework
To have achieved A*/9-C/4 grades in at least seven GCSE programmes, including GCSE English and Maths, and a grade C/4 in GCSE History.
In recent years History students have been able to make visits to Westminster Parliament, Auschwitz and Washington D.C.
You could go on to study history or a related subject at university and go on to a future career in areas such as law, politics, teaching, museum or library work or journalism.
- History consistently achieves high pass rates at A Level. Our students have gone on to study at prestigious universities such as Durham, Newcastle and York.
- As well as helping you get to university, History is well respected by employers. You will learn to form your own opinion, weigh up evidence, support your ideas with facts and manage your time effectively.
- History will help you to gain an understanding of the world we live in. You will learn about everything from the economy to religion to politics. History can boost your understanding in other subjects.