BTEC Applied science (Extended Certificate) is a two year course equivalent to one A level. By completing just the first year of the course, it is possible to be awarded the normal Certificate, which is worth half an A level. The course covers aspects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics and places an emphasis on coursework and practical activities. It is suitable for students wishing to work in applied science fields such as forensics and cosmetics.
Duration: 1-2 years
Starting date: September 2018
Location: SRC Bede Sixth Form
What will you do?
You will experience a mix of practical, lab-based activities and theory sessions. These sessions all take place in the state of the art, purpose built science labs at Bede.
How will you learn?
You will learn many skills and techniques through the variety of assessed practical activities, as well as the many additional experiments and demonstrations. There will also be classical academic sessions just like in A-level sciences.
How are you assessed?
The course is approximately 50% exam and 50% coursework based. In the first year, this is split in to 2 units, the theory exam and the practical coursework. In 2nd year there are 2 more mandatory units and 1 optional unit, with different weightings.
You need to be able to:
- Work safely in a scientific environment Apply your knowledge to practical tasks Work to deadlines.
- Think critically Self-evaluate.
- Communicate with others.
What do you need to know?
You will need at least 4/C grades in your GCSE science as well as 4/C grades in English and Maths.
Much of the theory content is the same as in A level sciences as this course is equivalent in difficulty and value.
Many students progress on to apprenticeships in fields including technician training and food and hygiene.
Students can also use the qualification to apply to University and Higher Education.
How do I apply/enrol? www.stockton.ac.uk/apply
How much does the course cost?
The course is fully funded for all 16-19 students.
What kit/uniform do I need?
A scientific calculator is required.
Lab coats and safety equipment are provided by the college.
What financial & additional support can I get?
Talk to the college advisors for more information on this.
3 Reason to join us:
- State of the art laboratory and amazing support from the lab technicians.
- You will gain knowledge in all three sciences which can be applied to almost any future career.
- The outstanding teaching staff will support you every step of the way
Destinations and Progress:
- Progress in to Higher Education and University with your UCAS points.
- Take on a higher level apprenticeship and become a scientist or lab technician.
- Students have already progressed on to University to become nurses and midwives.
What students say:
“The course is fun and engaging”
“The teachers are really friendly and approachable”
“The coursework parts make the work much more manageable”