772 views

It's been a busy year so far for Film and TV student Joe. But it is all exciting stuff for the budding young filmmaker from Stockton.

He is coming to the end of his course at Stockton Riverside College, so that means lots shooting, editing and even a spot of acting here and there, for the 19-year-old enthusiast. He has seen one of his short films make the cut for the inaugural Newcastle International Film Festival.

And now Joe is heading off to Cannes after winning a three-day pass for the Cannes Film Festival 2018.

"Cannes is the pinnacle of a filmmaker's dreams, I would love to have a film there one day," he said. But for now he is more than happy to have the chance to soak up the atmosphere as a spectator and get a first glimpse of some of the newest films.

One of a thousand young film buffs to win a young film lovers pass, Joe was picked from 16,000 applicants after writing a  letter describing his passion for cinema.

"I wrote about filmmakers I look up to, about my influences and what influences the films I see and a little bit about how I fell in love with film," he said.

He must have impressed with his words as news of his successful application arrived in an email.

"It honestly feels like a once in a lifetime opportunity as I know places are limited," he said.

With access to a three-day dedicated programme from the Official Selection it looks like Joe will be spoilt for choice and he is already planning lots of networking.

With aspirations to work in the industry, Joe is off to university this year, with a conditional offer from the University of Greenwich to study Film Production.

Do you have a passion for film and TV? Do you want to develop the real hands-on skills to start your career in the industry? Apply now for our Film and TV courses starting this September.
DSC09800-1024x683.jpg
Share On: