579 views

Access to Humanities and Social Sciences student, Claire, is taking inspiration from her own story to help others.

Claire started on our Access to Higher Education course last year after being recommended the course by friends, but having been out of education for a while it was a big step. She said: “I came knowing where I wanted to be, and the college was really accessible to me so it was the right decision.”

The 34-year-old couldn’t praise the college enough for the support she has received. She said: “Anyone who is thinking about studying here should definitely go for it. I have met a diverse group of people and received so much support from staff.”

Claire, of Stockton, has now progressed to studying a Psychology degree at Teesside University alongside running her own non-profit organisation, Red Balloons, a support service for those with mental health illnesses, their families and anyone interested in improving their general wellbeing.

Setting up the business after facing her own personal struggles she now wants to help others who are in a similar situation. She said: “Red Balloons offers one to one support, personal training and group sessions to those in need. I wanted to use my own life story to help others and getting a qualification means that I can now do that.”

Claire added: “My ultimate end goal is to make Red Balloons a fully established organisation.”
DSC_0232-300x200.jpg
Share On: