Focusing on apprenticeships

Posted: 17-03-2016 - 1,065 view(s)

It’s National Apprenticeship Week so we have been sharing some of the stories of our own apprentices at Stockton Riverside College.

Bethany HartToday we meet Bethany Hart, a Business Administration apprentice working her way to success, and Joinery apprentice Matthew Treadgold.

Learning on the job is one of the advantages of being an apprentice said Bethany. The 19-year-old from Thornaby secured an apprenticeship in Business Administration at Stockton Riverside College after completing her A levels and deciding university wasn’t for her.

“It made sense to get experience in an area that interested me,” said Bethany, who quickly progressed from her Level 2 to Level 3 qualification.

Now with her sights set on working in marketing management, she said: “Choosing an apprenticeship has helped to build my confidence and it gives you valuable experience.”

Matthew TreadgoldSecuring an apprenticeship also proved the right move for Matthew Treadgold. With three years of previous experience in the trade the 23-year-old found not having the qualifications to match was proving a real stumbling block.

Deciding to apply for a position as an apprentice has solved all that. Now Matthew, of Eaglescliffe, is able to work full time and pick up recognised qualifications through Stockton Riverside College at the same time.

“It is great because I am learning loads of new skills and it’s not just the practical side but all the theory as well. I know if I have any questions that there’s always someone that I can ask.”

Want to know more about the apprenticeships? Visit www.stockton.ac.uk/courses/apprenticeships/ or if you are an employer go to www.stockton.ac.uk/for-business/apprenticeships/ or alternatively give our team a call on 01642 865 577.