Level 3 Maths Skills
This course will allow you to learn, develop and practise the essential skills in mathematics required for entry to specialist teaching qualifications or to develop your personal skills in mathematics. This qualification will provide evidence of achievement of the entry criteria for subject specific mathematics teacher education programmes.
Duration: 12 weeks
Starting date: January 2018 (Wednesday 6pm – 8pm)
Location: Stockton Riverside College
What will I study?
3 mathematical units:
- Using mathematics: academic subjects.
- Using mathematics: professional and vocational contexts.
- Using mathematics: personal and public life.
How will I learn?
Learning will be a mixture of classroom contact time and independent study with resources and teaching material available via the VLE.
How am I assessed?
Assessments are taken regularly throughout the course. Successful completion of 3 units forms a portfolio of evidence.
What are my career opportunities following completion of this course?
- Progression into specialist teacher training for the lifelong learning sector.
- University courses that require a level 3 qualification in mathematics.
How much does the course cost?
What days and times does the course run?
2 hours per week in the classroom and 1 hour of independent study. Tuesday 18:00 – 20:00
What are the entry requirements?
You should be working at or above GCSE Grade C mathematics or equivalent (e.g. Functional Skills maths at Level 2).
You will be invited into the college for an initial interview.
3 reasons to join us:
- This course is suitable for vocational tutors wishing to improve their own mathematics skills and their skills in embedding Functional Skills in their teaching.
- This course is also suitable for people wishing to start a career in mathematics support.
- This course provides the skills development needed to meet the entry requirement for joining a subject specific teaching qualification in numeracy.