Sector based work academy was a foot in the door for Lauren

Posted: 17-06-2020 - 245 view(s)

When Lauren signed up to a six-week employability programme at Stockton Riverside College, she could have had no idea where it would lead.

For the former care assistant that short course proved the foundations of a whole new career.

It seems quite fitting that the 25-year-old from Billingham, now a project advisor on the Youth Employment Initiative (YEI), helps other young people, like herself, to get the training to kick-start their careers.

“Because of my own experiences I feel like I know what they are going through,” said Lauren, who initially signed up for one of the College’s sector based work academies in business administration.

Developing employability skills, as well as real work experience, the course comes with a guaranteed job interview.

Lauren said: “As it happens, for the course I was on, the College was also the employer.”

Offered a job as a Level 2 Apprentice in the College’s Business Development Unit, she said: “I was over the moon. I started work a couple of weeks later.”

For Lauren that was just the start of a career journey that would see her progress all the way up to a level 4 apprenticeship.

When the opportunity came up to join the YEI team as an administrator she jumped at the offer.

Now a project advisor, she said: “I feel like I have achieved what I was looking for, now it’s nice to be in a position to mentor and help others.”

If you are aged 15 to 29, Stockton Riverside College offers a variety of flexible programmes that can be tailored to your needs. With support from industry experts it could be the start of a whole new career.

To find out more email yei@stockton.ac.uk, call 01642 865568 or visit: https://www.stockton.ac.uk/youth-employment-initiative/

Alternatively, for details about the College’s upcoming sector based work academies and short courses, available to those aged 19+, visit: https://stockton.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/

Lauren said: “For me the courses are like a foot in the door. If you are not working or you just want a change, then go for it!”