Hard work pays off for Hairdressing student Sonata

Posted: 17-06-2020 - 65 view(s)

Hard work has never been an issue for part-time student Sonata.

After graduating from school in Lithuania, in 2004, Sonata travelled to the UK in the hope of pursuing her artistic talents, but fitting education around a full-time job wasn’t always easy. Sonata worked long hours in a variety of jobs to keep body and soul together, and also managed to complete a degree in visual arts. During that course, Sonata became pregnant, and now combines her studies with childcare.

Working full days and long weeks, it wasn’t easy to fit in education, but the Stockton Riverside College part-time hairdressing course made it much easier for me. I really wanted to challenge myself, I had never considered hairdressing before but I was excited by the prospect of becoming a ‘hair artist’.”
After progressing from the level 2 course, Sonata now studies level 3 and has gained employment at a local salon in Thirsk. She added: “I was desperate to gain some experience but it wasn’t easy finding employment. I offered to volunteer and help out but I was starting to lose hope until I was contacted by Salon 54.”

Sonata is effusive in her praise of salon owner, Emma, and her colleagues for all their support in achieving her dreams. Sonata says that her part-time studies at Stockton Riverside College dovetailed perfectly with her busy lifestyle, and the inspiration she gained there, and from Salon 54 boss, Emma, has provided her with the perfect springboard to ultimately do hair design for a film or fashion show! Who’s to bet, that she won’t achieve her dream?!

She said: “I have worked so hard to get this far! I can’t thank my college tutors, Nicola and Melanie, enough for their constant support and encouragement. I would love to eventually design hair for fashion shows and competitions. Nothing is impossible if you work hard enough! I’ve gone from working long hours to doing something I love, and I’m grateful for everything I’ve been able to achieve.”