Ty’s hoping to deliver a Knockout performance

Posted: 18-03-2020 - 156 view(s)

This weekend sees the return to our television screens of Billingham’s own The Voice UK hopeful, Ty Lewis.

The 19-year-old is hoping to scoop a place in the TV talent contest’s live shows as audiences see him perform once again, this time in the Knockout rounds.

His mentor, Olly Murs, can choose just two performers to put through to the live semi-finals, but with one place already taken, the pressure is on.

Ty, The Voice UK – photo (C) ITV Plc
Loving every minute of the experience so far, the former Bede Sixth Form student said: “It all still feels a bit surreal. Watching myself on TV, I can’t quite believe it is me standing on that stage.”

Ty first impressed the show’s celebrity judges during the blind auditions, securing chair spins from both Olly and Sir Tom Jones with his performance of Billie Eilish’s “When the Party’s Over”.

It was a head-to-head battle singing, “If the World Was Ending”, with team mate, Millie Bowell, that won him his place in the Knockouts.

Of getting to meet and work with Olly outside of the auditions for the first time, he said: “It was such an amazing experience. He is such a genuine, nice person and that helps put you at your ease.”

Ty, The Voice UK – photo (C) ITV Plc

Surprised to be partnered with Millie, Ty said: “She has such a powerful voice but it was great to get to work together and I was really happy with the song choice.”

Looking back at their performance, he added: “I was so much less nervous than in the blind auditions. I was more nervous singing to the backs of the chairs and not being able to see the judges’ reactions.”

The nerves were soon back though when the pair anxiously waited to hear Olly announce his battle winner.

Ty, The Voice UK – photo (C) ITV Plc

Ty, who successfully completed his BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Music Technology and A level Media Studies at Bede last year, said: “It felt like minutes when in reality it was probably only a few seconds.”

When he heard his name called out, he said: “I was just stood there in disbelief, then I thought I better just go with it.” It was only after seeing it back on TV that the result sunk in.

Now, looking forward to sharing the result of his performance in the Knockout rounds when it airs this Saturday, Ty said the show will see each of the four judge’s teams reduced from six to two.

A public vote will see one further contestant selected to go through to the live shows.

Hoping the public will get behind him, Ty said: “Whatever the result the support I have had, not just from family and friends, but also the public through social media, has been overwhelming. To get that public response and to see people say it was a good performance, that is the bit that makes it all feel real.”

You can catch Ty’s next performance on The Voice UK this Saturday (21st March) on ITV at 8.30pm. Voting, both for the lifeline vote and the semi-final, can be carried out on The Voice UK app, for download details visit: https://www.itv.com/thevoice/app