Former Bede student Ty faces the battles on The Voice

Posted: 27-02-2020 - 806 view(s)

Don’t forget to tune in to The Voice UK this weekend to show your support for Billingham lad and former Bede Sixth Form student, Ty Lewis.

On Saturday night we’ll be rooting for the 19-year-old as he battles it out as part of Team Olly to keep his place in the TV talent show.

Catching up with Ty about his experiences on the show so far, he told us: “It is surreal but such an amazing experience.”

He said: “It is only since my audition aired, that it started to settle in that this is real.”

Ty Lewis, The Voice UK, (C) ITV Plc

First seen on the show performing Billie Eilish’s “When the Party’s Over” during the blind auditions in January, Ty was stunned when both Olly Murs and Tom Jones turned their chairs for him.

He said: “It was so surreal but also the scariest experience.”

Performing to the back of those famous chairs, he explained: “I am used to singing to an audience that is looking at you. The audience was there but you can’t gauge how the coaches are feeling.

“I was lucky because Olly turned early and that is when I realised that I was through. Once you have got one you want more and more.”

Ty Lewis, The Voice UK, (C) ITV Plc

Tom waited until the final moments of the song to spin his chair. Ty said: “A lot of the time when I am singing my eyes are closed. When I realised both Olly and Tom had turned, that was the most exciting experience.”

Watching the show air from his home in Billingham, surrounded by family and friends, he said: “No matter how many times I see it, there’s nothing that solidifies how real it is. I still can’t believe that is me on that stage, getting the two turns.”

For Ty, who has been a fan of The Voice since it started, to get the chance to perform on the show is a dream come true.

He said: “When I went along to the very first audition I thought I would just go for it and not be disheartened if I didn’t get through.”

Successfully making it through the initial audition stages and call backs, he described it as “the strangest feeling getting the call for the blind audition”.

With thousands of people applying for the show every year, Ty added: “If you are on there, it is an achievement in itself.”

Now among the final 40 with a place in the battles, this weekend we will see him go head to head with a fellow contestant to be in with a chance of making the knock-out rounds.

Of working with Olly, Ty said: “He is such a genuine, nice person and that helps, it puts you at ease. He has been helping me and my partner to take our song to the next level.”

Former Bede student, Ty has long had a passion for music and performing. He successfully completed his BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Music Technology and A level Media Studies at the college last year.

He said: “Everyone’s ambition is to sell out arenas, of course, but I want to make music that people can listen to and that will inspire them.

“I want to inspire people to follow their dreams and to prove you can do whatever you put your mind to.

“I didn’t think in a million years I would be in the battles of The Voice UK, but here I am!”

Watch Ty battle it out for a place in the next rounds of The Voice UK on Saturday 29th February on ITV at 8.30pm.