Beauty Blog – First Treatment

Posted: 24-01-2020 - 78 view(s)

Following on from my consultation with Tilly at Beauty Lab 9 last week, I was grateful that my first treatment had come around so quickly. With a poorly child up all night, hormonal breakouts and not much time to take care of my skin, I was definitely in need of some TLC.

I had quite a few spots around my chin with one in particular near to my lips but most importantly, my lack of skincare routine had left my face looking tired and dull. After a busy week with work and childcare, I was ready to have 45 minutes of relaxation and escapism.

Having not had a facial in a very long time I was quite nervous, but student Tilly made me feel right at ease from the beginning. Dressed professionally in her work tunic, Tilly had everything set up ready and once she reviewed my consultation we were ready to get started.

I laid down and instantly the calming music helped me relax, my own make up was gently removed and Tilly began the treatment. It was hard to believe that I was not at a professional salon – my treatment was relaxing and I enjoyed chatting with Tilly, who was very pleasant and polite. During our chat, it was clear to see that Tilly had learned a lot from the course. She explained the science and benefits of the facial to me in detail, and I felt that my skin was in very capable hands.

With my facial (and arm massage) complete it was time for my aftercare plan, Tilly advised:

• Avoid wearing make-up after the treatment
  • Always cleanse, tone and moisturise your face to prevent loss of moisture
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Try to avoid touching your face as much as you can

As someone who has only recently started a strict skincare regime it was going to be difficult to stick to these aftercare rules, however I am keen to see if a regular facial will really make a difference to how my skin looks and feels. Admittedly after the treatment my skin feels really soft, however to me it still looks quite dull and tired. I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks to see if this will change in any way.

Beauty Lab 9 is a salon based within The Skills Academy, Marsh House Avenue, Billingham. The name itself was chosen by the students and offers treatments such as facials, manicures, make-up application and hair curling. It is open to friends and family of students at the College.

The Hairdressing & Beauty Therapy course at The Skills Academy combines technical skills and knowledge to allow learners to develop essential skills for work within the hair and beauty industry.