Well done to our Higher Education Class of 2019!

Posted: 17-10-2019 - 207 view(s)

Highflying students from Stockton Riverside College have been celebrating success at the very heart of their community.

Today the college put the spotlight on its higher education learners with a dedicated graduation ceremony at the Arc in Stockton.

Lesley Graham, Campus Principal at Stockton Riverside College, said: “These events are celebratory, positive and, at times, emotional occasions, a chance to share in our students’ excitement and applaud their success.”

More than 120 students joined the celebrations, spread across two ceremonies in Stockton with processions taking place along the high street.

Among those graduating was BA Hons Education and Training student Laura.

Invited to speak on behalf of her fellow students at the college, she said: “I was quite overwhelmed to be asked. I have enjoyed studying at the college and I have made some of the best friends I have ever had.”

Working full-time as a teaching assistant alongside her studies, she said: “At times it has been challenging but I have always enjoyed doing college work and I like to learn new things.”

Of studying at the college she said: “I chose Stockton Riverside College because I got a good feeling from it with smaller co-horts and down to earth tutors.”

Now studying teacher training at Northumbria University, her advice to others considering studying higher education is, “just go for it, enjoy it and make the most of every minute as it goes quick”.

Also speaking for her fellow students was BA Hons Therapeutic Counselling student Joanna.

Graduating with a first class honors degree and now lecturing at the college, she said: “I feel humble really. I never thought I would be here, getting a first.”

Starting on a part-time level 2 counselling course, Joanna has progressed all the way to degree level. She is now working towards a PHD.

Stockton Riverside College offers a variety of foundation degree and degree programmes, many delivered in partnership with Teesside University.

Professor Mark Simpson, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching) at Teesside University, said: “Our Teesside University College Partnership was formalised 18 months ago and all partners have demonstrated a commitment to continue to expand, develop and innovate together in order to provide first class education and training to students on a wide range of academic courses.

“Those graduating this week have shown a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication and they should all be extremely proud of their achievements.”

Watch out for more pics coming soon.