655 views

TASS programme helps Kaitlyn get a step aheadNext stop is Durham University for BTEC Sport and Performance student Kaitlyn.

The 19-year-old put on an all star performance scooping a triple distinction star from Bede Sixth Form.

But it won't be her first experience of the university as she was among a group of 10 young athletes from Bede selected to take part TASS Potential Project, delivered by the university.

The one-year pilot programme, funded by the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS), is designed to offer support to young athletes aged 16 and over, to help them keep up their academic studies alongside their sporting commitments. Many students feel that they have to choose between the two, the TASS scheme aims to prevent that.

A keen hockey player from Billingham, Kaitlyn said: "It gave us the chance to go to Durham University and learn about aspects of the sport that you wouldn't usually get chance to learn."

A combination of theory-based workshops, strength and conditioning sessions, personal training, as well as health and nutrition advice, helped give the students a head start.

For Kaitlyn the experience added to the knowledge and expertise she was gaining studying sport full-time at the college.

Picking up a triple distinction star today, she is now looking forward to continuing to build on that expertise at Durham.

It's taken hard work and commitment, she said: "I thought I wasn't going to get it at first. I had to pull my finger out to get the grades I needed."

The hard work clearly paid off. Well done Kaitlyn.
DSC_0519-1024x1018.jpg
Share On: