1038 views

Have you always dreamed of becoming a teacher? Well it needn’t be just a pipedream.

There’s more ways to a career in the classroom than you might think. Whatever your starting point, Stockton Riverside College has an option for you.

PGCE Teaching in Education & Training
(Post-compulsory education and training sector)

For engineer Kieran retraining has been a big change, but one he is pretty excited about.

Training to teach adult numeracy at Stockton Riverside College, he is currently in a placement teaching functional maths in the prison service.

A long way from his previous career at the Redcar steel works, he said: “If you had said to me a year before I started I was going to be teaching in the prison service, I wouldn’t have believed it.”

He said: “I was quite an anxious character speaking in front of people to start with, but the course develops you both personally and professionally.”

After years as a stay at home mum, Naghma was inspired to pursue a career in teaching after helping her son prepare for his GCSEs.

Now studying a PGCE, the Stockton mum has discovered a passion for teaching in the adult education sector.

“With adult learners I have found that they are so respectful,” she said. “They really want to learn and so they put a lot of their own time into it. You can use their real life experiences to inform their learning.”

As for college life, she said: “The teachers are so helpful and supportive. I was nervous at first but I have learnt a lot here. I am happy and proud of what I have achieved.”

Access to HE: Educational Studies

Working as a primary school teacher has been a lifelong ambition for Catherine. When she left college at 18 she lacked the confidence to go to university, and it wasn’t until last year the now 32-year-old found the courage to pursue her dreams.

She said: “When I told friends and family that I was going back to college they all said, please say you are finally doing primary teaching.”

After some research, Catherine came across the Access to Higher Education (HE) route, a one year part-time course that prepares you for the demands of university study. And what better than a specific Access to HE: Education route?

Having worked in the NHS for 11 years, currently as a system administrator, she described the change in direction as a big leap.

She said: “I have a house and a family so I needed to be out of a paid job for as little time as possible. The Access course was better for me as it was something I could do while still working full-time.”

She admits it has been hard work and taken commitment, but it was well worth it with two offers for Durham University and The University of Sunderland.

Looking back at the last year, Catherine said: “The course flies by and I can’t believe I am now looking forward to starting university.”

Part-time courses and more…

At Stockton Riverside College we practise what we teach, and many of our own teaching staff have topped up their qualifications on courses right here at the college.

Among them is former pub landlord Richard James, who started his journey into teaching on an education course at the college.

Walking away with a job offer alongside his qualification he now teaches maths, access to higher education and pre-access courses. But his continuing professional development doesn’t stop there.

James is now topping up his credentials with one of the college’s assessors courses, a qualification enabling people qualified in particular professional fields to assess achievement and competence in the workplace.

Do you want to use your expertise to support others training in the working environment? Check out the part-time courses available at Stockton Riverside College to help you assess and support others.

To find out more about the full range of courses in education and training, supporting teaching and learning, early years and assessing courses at the college visit https://www.stockton.ac.uk/courses/education-training/ for our Access to Higher Education courses go to https://www.stockton.ac.uk/courses/access-to-higher-education/ or call 01642 865566.

With full-time and part-time courses to choose from come and chat to the team to find the right route for you. Apply now for courses starting this September!
DSC_0546-1024x684.jpg DSC_0552-1024x684.jpg DSC_0563-1024x684.jpg
Share On: