1013 views

Congratulations to all of our Career Ready Logistics Academy students who have been celebrating success here at the college.

A special awards ceremony saw students pick up certificates to mark the completion of the Career Ready enrichment programme.

Part of the college’s drive to raise young people’s awareness of the sector and help plug future skills gaps, the Logistics Academy offers students the chance to take part in a series of sector-based masterclasses and site visits, alongside their full-time courses. They also work with a mentor and take part in an industry placement.

Among our latest batch of Logistics Academy "graduates" was SRC Bede student Jacob, who has received a higher apprenticeship job offer with PD Ports following a four-week internship.

Signing up for the Logistics Academy to boost his CV, he said: "I didn't really know much about the industry but the academy gave me experience and I found it really interesting."

Time spent working in the property department at PD Ports shaped his career goals, with his sights now set on working in commercial property management and chartered surveying.

The 18-year-old never dreamed it would result in a job offer, but he said: "I am ecstatic."

Also achieving stand-out success was Stockton Riverside College Business student Toni. Not only did she impress her tutors and mentor through the programme but she has received national recognition too, shortlisted for Logistics Students of the Year title at the national Career Ready Awards 2019.

She said: "I felt a bit numb when I first found out, then I felt excited and nervous."

It is a big leap for the 17-year-old from Stockton who admits, up until she started the course she had never even heard of logistics.

Headed to a glittering award ceremony in London next month, she will be joined by the college’s work based learning co-ordinator, Ruth Cabourne, who has been named regional winner of the Santander Employability Champion of the Year for the North of England and Wales.

Stockton Riverside College presented some additional awards of its own during the Logistics Academy celebration with PD Ports' Group HR Officer, Tanya Mountain, receiving the accolade for Outstanding Contribution as a Career Ready Mentor. PD Ports'  Jim French was honoured with an Oustanding Contribution Award for his services and dedication as a founding member of the Logistics Academy.

He said: "I have had a career in logistics that has done me well for almost 50 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great industry to be in. I have enjoyed every minute. I wanted to give something back. To see the students progress gives me a great deal of satisfaction."

Well done to all.

DSC_1088-a-1024x371.jpg DSC_1081-1024x753.jpg DSC_1142-1024x785.jpg DSC_1150.jpg DSC_1142.jpg DSC_1105-a.jpg DSC_1100.jpg DSC_1097.jpg DSC_1094.jpg DSC_1088-a.jpg DSC_1092.jpg DSC_1083.jpg DSC_1081.jpg DSC_1079.jpg DSC_1077.jpg DSC_1076.jpg DSC_1073.jpg DSC_1072.jpg DSC_1069.jpg
Share On: