1222 views

A small mention of SRC Bede Sixth Form from a friend turned into “one of the best decisions” Josh has ever made.

Preparing for interviews and engineering apprenticeship schemes at the time, Josh said that something didn’t feel right about the path he was on. He had always been a keen sportsman, playing football from a young age, and when his friend mentioned the sports courses at SRC Bede, Josh had to find out more.

A short while later, the former Nunthorpe Academy student found himself enrolled at SRC Bede. Not one for doing things by half-measures, he started his FdSc in Sport and Fitness whilst also studying the Level 2 Fitness Instructing and Level 3 Personal Training qualifications at the same time.

Josh said: “I thought I wasn’t going to be able to do a university-level course – I imagined that I’d have to go back to college to ‘restart’ and then move onto university. I was so pleased to find out I could start my higher education at a local college instead, and easily change my career direction.”

The FdSc in Sport and Fitness appealed to Josh as it is “broader than other courses and not too narrowed down”. Josh wanted to have a choice of careers or further qualifications he could move onto afterwards, and felt that a qualification in something specific like personal training would be too limiting.

“The course content covered pretty much everything I was looking for – coaching, nutrition, physiology, biomechanics, working with children, strength and conditioning to name a few. There really is something for everyone. I’m more interested in fitness, but I could easily move into other avenues.”

Now a personal trainer and fitness coach at David Lloyd Leisure, Josh said looking back he actually didn’t find completing three qualifications at once too overwhelming – it was all made possible with the help and support of his tutors.

He said: “Phil Cummins in particular really helped me – he is the best educator I have come across. He always had time to help everyone in the class, and he kept an eye out for things and opportunities that might interest us outside of college too.”

Josh is now completing the top up year to gain the full BSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Science at Teesside University, and aims to go on to study a Master’s at Northumbria University next.

In the future Josh wants to work with elite athletes as a strength and conditioning coach, and the qualifications he has gained at SRC Bede have opened up a variety of routes for him to be able to do that.
“None of this would have been possible if I hadn’t found SRC Bede. I’ve been able to go back and change what I want to do, and then effectively fast-track it. Studying at SRC Bede was absolutely one of the best decisions I have ever made. I met so many people, got my job, and am now progressing onto even bigger things”.

Josh’s advice to anyone considering studying at SRC Bede is: “Definitely go for it! It’s a nice place to be – all the staff really care and all students get loads of support.”

We look forward to hearing where Josh’s career takes him. Well done Josh!

Are you interested in studying sport at SRC Bede Sixth Form? Check out all of our courses here
Josh-fitness-studio-1024x683.jpg
Share On: