668 views

Choosing to retrain was a bold move for former retail area manager Richard, but it has proven the right decision.

He started out on a part-time level 2 course in Supporting Teaching and Learning at Stockton Riverside College and the 37-year-old has gone on to work all the way through to the BA Hons in Education and Training.

Still inspired he is now considering studying a Master’s Degree and is enjoying life as a teaching assistant in a primary school.

Of that first decision to retrain, he said: “I decided I was going to bite the bullet and left my job. I signed up for the course and took a job on as dinner staff in a school to get my face known.”

Just two months later Richard secured a position working in one-to-one support before going on to get a job as a teaching assistant.

He said: “It is one of those things in life where you think it is going to be too hard, but then you look back and realise it was quite easy and you see how much you have achieved.

Of returning to the classroom as a learner he explained: "It has been a while since I was a student but the tutors were really lovely and really good."

While he admits that there were times when you are in the thick of it, with deadlines looming, that it has been tough but he said: “It has flown by.”

A long way from his former day job as a retail manager, Richard said: “When you are at the top of your game in one profession and you move to another you have to reside yourself to the fact you are starting again, but it has been worth it. I love my job, I love the kids and I love the school that I am in.”

The best part he said: “Is the kids, they make me laugh. They are of an age where they are starting to understand sarcasm and humour and they are just brilliant.”

Are you considering a career change? Discover the options available to you at our Higher Education Open Evening at Stockton Riverside College tomorrow from 5pm to 7pm. Visit: www.stockton.ac.uk/courses/higher-education/
DSC01304-1024x683.jpg
Share On: