843 views

It’s not just the guys that are loving games here at Stockton Riverside College.

Our Creative Media Games Design course is proving the perfect choice for the girls too.

To offer an insight into what the course is all about we have been catching up with some of our current #GirlsInGames to ask what they enjoy most about the course.

Girls In Games - why choose Games Design

First up we chatted with Deanna, 18, from Darlington.

Choosing Games Design has proven the right move for Deanna who hopes to go on to become a games artist. She said: “I didn’t know anything about the software when I started and now I'm working on a game. I’m really interest in the industry and have been since I was little and used to watch my dad playing video games."

”Hoping to go on to study Game Art at Teesside University, Deanna said support from Paul, her college teacher, has helped to build her confidence. She said: “To be able to make your artwork come to life is quite satisfying."

Encouraging more girls to get involved, she said: “It has been a male dominated industry, but I don’t see it that way. The industry is crying out for female designers.”

Nieve, 18, is also from Darlington.

Discovering the Games Design course at Stockton Riverside College was a big hit for self-confessed gamer-girl Nieve. She said: “I didn’t know about the course at first. I hadn’t done anything like 3d modelling before.” It didn’t take long for her to grasp the basics and now she said of the course: “It’s awesome, I love it.”

“It’s not just about games. We incorporate concept art into everything. We also do comic design and graphic novels. If you don’t want to progress into the games industry you can look at animation or comic design.” Hoping to go to university to study concept art and ultimately work in the games industry, she said: “I’m leaning more towards environmental concept art at the moment.”

Happy to be a girl in games, Neive said: “The industry is pushing for more females. I think it has previously been seen as a male dominated hobby but there are female gamers out there, myself being one of them. If you like games and drawing this is the perfect course for you. It allows you to express yourself artistically.”

Next week we'll be catching up with Games Design students Chloe, Laura-Rose and Faith to find out why they think more girls should choose Games Design. #GirlsInGames

Are you creative and looking for a new way to express your work? Check out our Games Design and Creative Media courses at www.stockton.ac.uk/courses/computer-games-design/ .

We are still taking applications for courses starting this September. Apply now!
DSC00229-1024x683.jpg DSC00238-1024x683.jpg DSC00260-1024x683.jpg (1)
Share On: