Creating a career that counts

Posted: 11-10-2017 - 158 view(s)

The future is looking bright for former Stockton Riverside College apprentice Chelsea Brown who is carving out her career in industry.

At 18 she already has 10 months manufacturing experience behind her, and has gone on to secure a position with a global manufacturer helping to deliver services to the oil, gas, process and renewable industries.

Creating a career that counts

It might be a big step change from her early childhood ambitions of becoming a midwife – but Chelsea couldn’t be happier. “I love it, it is so much fun,” she said.

Inspired by her dad, who retrained as an electrical engineer, Chelsea spent a year studying Engineering after leaving school. But finding that she preferred a more hands-on style of learning, it was securing an apprenticeship in partnership with Stockton Riverside College that really kick started her career.

“I was applying for anything to do with engineering and manufacturing,” she said.

With the competition fierce, she was delighted to secure a manufacturing apprenticeship at Stockton-based signage and engraving company N-Sign.

“It didn’t seem real when I got the job,” she said. “It was my first job ever. I didn’t know what to expect.”

Describing it as an amazing experience, she not only developed new skills and gained vital work experience, but she also made new friends who helped to support her learning.

All of this, she believes, gave her the qualities she needed to stand out in the jobs market.

Now Chelsea has been snapped up by Circor Energy’s Pipeline Engineering where she will complete a Level 3 apprenticeship in engineering, with further opportunities to move on to higher study and even travel abroad.

She said: “Having that experience certainly helped to get me noticed and having already worked in manufacturing meant that I had that initial level of knowledge.”
Want to know more about the apprenticeship opportunities available at Stockton Riverside College? Visit: www.stockton.ac.uk/apprenticeships/ or give the team a call on 01642 865 577.