Art & Design student talks fashion

Posted: 19-07-2017 - 348 view(s)

As our Art & Design exhibition slowly winds down in the college and we begin to store away the many creative pieces produced by our fantastic students to make room for next year’s new talent, we wanted to take a closer look at some of the amazing work produced by one of our budding designers.

Art & Design student talks fashion

Keisha Labron, a 17-year-old Level 2 Art & Design student from Stockton has a particular interest in style and design and based her final pieces around her love for fashion and clothing. We caught up with her to find out her thoughts on the course, the college and what’s next for her in the new term.

1. How long have you been interested in fashion and design?

Fashion is something I’ve been interested in for a really long time now as it’s part of my everyday life and a form of personal expression growing up. I enjoy the process of getting up and getting ready for the day, and my clothes and outfit really depend on how I’m feeling and can reflect my personality and my mood that day.

2. Who/what inspires you?

Benazir Bhutto is my main inspiration – she was the prime minister of Pakistan in the late 80s and early 90s. She was the first female Prime Minister of Pakistan and also the first woman to govern a Muslim majority nation, so she’s a big muse for me. I’m also hugely inspired by my mother.

3. Who/what inspired your final pieces?

There wasn’t actually anything particular that inspired my final pieces, it was simply a combination of creative ideas that came to my mind at various times and they were all completely different. My idea for my first project was taken simply from me as a woman and revolved mainly around equality, but my second project was inspired by my want for fun loving and quirky clothing. My final project was based around my love for shabby chic and crazy, “out-there” fashion, so that’s what I tried to express through my work.

4. Have you enjoyed your time at the college?

I’ve definitely enjoyed my time here at the college – something that really stands out for me is the support I’ve received from my tutor. She’s always there to help and support me and it’s made a huge difference.

5. What other aspects have you enjoyed about the course?

My favourite thing about the course has definitely been the people I’ve met and the friends I’ve made along the way. There is a huge social aspect to the college and everyone is so friendly and supportive.

6. What are you planning on doing next?

My next step is to move on to Level 3 and I’m really excited to get stuck into a new challenge and see what I can achieve in my last year with the college.

7. Why did you choose Stockton Riverside College?

There are various reasons, but one of the deciding factors for me was how easy it was to travel to and from my home so it made the process so much easier, plus the free transport was a huge help.

8. Would you recommend this particular course to others?

For anyone who has an interest in art and design or fashion in particular: hell yes!

If you’re interested in a career in art or design and fancy joining us this year to see where your passion can take you, don’t forget we still have places available to join us this September. If there’s something else that’s caught your eye or you want to take a look at some of the fantastic vocational courses we have on offer, just click here to read more.  If you’re now ready to apply or just want some more information, follow the link here for more details.